Summer’s COOLEST Home Maintenance Tasks for HOT Days
The hotter it gets outside, the less we want to do anything other than watch Netflix in the air conditioning. Since we all know that home maintenance tasks don’t take a summer break, here are some ideas for home maintenance tasks that don’t end in completely sweat-soaked clothing.
- Clean out the fridge and freezer- This may be our best life hack yet! If it’s too hot to do anything else, spend some time with the ice cold items in your freezer and fridge. Check for expired condiments, freezer burned items, and foods that have passed their prime. While you’re there, use a mild cleaner to wipe down shelves and wash the refrigerator’s drawers.
- Deep clean carpets- Another great interior task is to deep clean your carpets. During this time of year, the allergens tend to accumulate in plush surfaces like carpets and rugs. Plus, more outdoor activity means more dirt and stains are brought in to the carpeted areas. Vacuum thoroughly then spot clean trouble areas. If you’re able, rent a steam cleaner for an even more thorough clean.
- Clean and reverse ceiling fans- If your ceiling fans are going in the wrong direction, you are working against your air conditioning. Make sure fan blades are going counter-clockwise during the warm months. This will coax the cool air downward and keep the warm air where it belongs- away from you! While you’re at it, wipe down dusty blades to avoid a mess when the fan gets turned on.
- Change your air filter- If you want your air conditioner to work throughout the summer and to avoid pricey repair calls, change the filter regularly. (Check your unit’s recommendation for frequency.) This helps the unit to work more efficiently and saves you valuable money!
If you have to get outside, here are some quick jobs that are a little more bearable during the summer months.
- Pressure wash your exterior- Rent a pressure washer and spend some time cleaning the exterior. Brick, siding, and stone can all benefit from a thorough washing. Plus, this task requires very little elbow grease and a refreshing mist from the washer. If you have to be outside, it’s one of the cooler tasks you can do this summer.
- Check hoses for leaks- While you’re helping the kids fill up that kiddie pool, check the garden hose for leaks. A leaky hose can drown areas of the yard or cause a mess when being used. Inside the house, check the hoses to washing machines, dishwashers, and refrigerators. These hoses should be replaced every few years and can spring leaks that can cause expensive water damage.
- Clean the exterior windows- Another job that involves water is cleaning your exterior windows. Wash the exterior with soapy water and rinse with a garden hose. (Feel free to take splash breaks on hot days!)
- Clean your grill- Now, we know this is definitely not a “cool” task. But it’s one that’s unavoidable during the summer months. It’s also essential to delicious grilled meals this summer. Scrub down the grates with a stiff wire brush. Clear out any clogged holes or vents that are filled with debris. It might be a hot job, but your status as King/Queen of the Grill is riding on this!
Photo by Lukas on Unsplash